I saw these baby beetroot cuties at the market and just had to get them. The weather has been cooler and rainy in Brussels so I made some comfort food with risotto and lamb kefta kebabs from my favourite butcher Dierendonck
Feta and sage are such a fabulous taste combo, it is just perfection.
Risotto rice is a short grain rice, available in most supermarkets and Italian stores.
STEP 1: wash and peel (if needed) the baby beetroot and cut in equal chunks.
STEP 2: Make a vegetable stock with 1l water, celery, leeks and onion. Bring to boil and add the beetroots. Cook about 10 minutes till beetroot is cooked and has given a beautiful red colour to the veg stock. Remove the beetroot and shred with grater and reserve. Let the stock simmer on low heat.
STEP 3: Cook the risotto by adding ladle of stock and letting it simmer, repeat until rice is cooked. Add the shredded beetroot.
STEP 4: Fry the sage till crispy and reserve.
Top the beetroot risotto with feta and fried sage, serve with a side of lamb kofta kebabs or omit for a veggie meal.
Just love the beautiful colours of this rainbow beetroot. Perfect dish also for the fall when beetroots are fully grown.
My baby beetroot risotto with feta and sage
Yield 4 portions
- 2 celery stalk, chopped coarsely
- 1 smallonioon, chopped coarsely
- 1 l water
- 3 - 5 little beetroots
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot diced
- 150 gr arborio rice
- fresh sage
- 60 gr feta cheese
- salt and peper
- Wash ( peel; if needed) the baby beetroot. Cut in half.
- Make the stock: add to the water, the celery, onion, thyme and season with salt. Bring to a boil and add the beetroot. Boil for 10 minutes, remove beetroot when cooked and grate when slightly cooled down.
- Keep the stock, now coloured red, at a low simmer.
- Take a saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and shallots and let them sweet not colour. Add the rice. Stir so the rice has absorbed the oil. Add a ladle of the stock. On medium heat let the stock be absorbed by the rice, add another ladle of stock, and repeat till the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes. Don't take your eye of the pan, stir if needed.
- When risotto is cooked, add the shredded beetroot and mix to combine. Check the taste for seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Fry sage leaves in 1 tablespoon of olive oil till crispy.
- To serve, top the beetroot risotto with feta and sage leaves. Is perfect with lamb kofta kebabs or just veggie on its own.
on www.leeksandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
Written and photographed by Sandra Slawinski without commercial deals. Used plates and bowls my mama made for me.