Tomatoes are coming in full season and I could not resist buying more cherry tomatoes I could eat so I ended dup making oven sun-dried tomatoes. Super easy, super yummy and can be stored ( I ate all of mine) in olive oil for months.
Halloumi is a Greek cheep cheese and is delish when grilled . I just love it on a sandwich or in a salad.
STEP 1: slice the tomatoes in half and lay on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Season with salt.
STEP 2: You can season with fresh or dried herbs. I used fresh thyme from the garden.
STEP 3: Slow roast them for about 2.5 hrs in a low heat oven, 120 C degrees. Sprinkle with fresh or dried herbs and roast for another 30 minutes. No need to flip nor rotate them. Just keep an eye on them.
I love using edible flowers and fresh herbs from the garden. Here I picked some yellow and blue violets, marigolds (tagete) parsley and chives.
STEP 4: Grill the halloumi till soft. Slice the cucumber thinly. grill the bread brushed with olive oil. Chop the fresh herbs. And then assemble the sandwich. Drizzle some good quality olive oil over and enjoy!
My grilled halloumi, cucumber and oven sun dried tomatoes sandwich
Yield 2 sandwich
- cherry tomatoes, to fill a jar use about 300 gr
- 2 slices of bread, I used sourdough whole wheat
- 3 table spoons olive oil
- 1 pack halloumi cheese (200 gr)
- 1 cucumber
- herbs from the garden: thyme, chives, parsley, mint
- edible flowers form the garden: marigolds and violets
- Slice the washed tomatoes in 1/2 and lay on baking tray lined with parchment paper. Season with salt and roast in pre heated oven at 120C degrees for about 2.5 hrs. No need to flip nor rotate them, just keep an eye. After 2.5hrs, season with fresh or died herbs of your choice like thyme, basil, rosemary. Roast for another 30 minutes, let cool on tray.
- To preserve the tomatoes, add them to a cleaned jar with silicon ring and clasp ( see photos). Fill with olive oil , and season per your choice with garlic, baie leave or juniper berries. Seal and store in a cool and dark place up to 2 months.
- For the sandwich: brush the bread with olive oil and grill the in till crispy. Grill the halloumi till soft. Rinse and chop the herbs. Slice the cucumber thinly. To assemble: top the bread with halloumi, cucumber, sun dried tomatoes, herbs and flowers. Drizzle some olive oil over.
on www.leeksandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
Written and photographed by Sandra Slawinski without commercial deals. Used plates my mom made for me, towel, scissors from Dille & Kamille, knife Wusthof.