Courgette ( zucchini ) are in season now and is such a versatile vegetable. It has a subtle flavour, I recommend using plenty of fresh herbs and spices to bring the flavour alive!
I used Za’atar spice blend which is the Middle East meets the Mediterranean. Originally way back in ancient Persia it was a name for a wild herb today similar to oregano or marjoram. The one I found in the store is a blend of dried thyme, dried oregano, dried marjoram, toasted sesame seeds, touch of cinnamon and salt. Some preparations have sumac making it red in colour. There are variations of this blend that include cumin, fennel and coriander seeds.
For more courgette inspo, check out my stuffed courgette blooms recipe, click here.
Za’atar is a dried herbs, spices and sesame seed mixture.
STEP 1: shred the courgette.
STEP 2: squeeze out as much moisture as possible, season with salt and lay flat on kitchen towel.
My courgette fritters with za'atar dip
Yield 8 fritters
- 3 medium size courgettes
- 60 gr flour
- 40 gr parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 50 ml sour cream or creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoon za'atar spice blend
- 1 tablespoon gold and black sesame seeds
- salt and pepper
- cooking oil
- Place the sour cream in a bowl and add the Zaathar and sesame seeds and mix well, reserve.
- Use a grater to shred the courgettes. Squeeze out the moisture and spread on a kitchen towel and salt. Leave for 20 minutes to render the water. Pat dry and add to a bowl.
- Crack the egg in a small bowl and beat loose with a fork. To the bowl with the courgette, add the flour, cheese and beaten egg. Mix with spatula to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in the skillet and use a metal spoon to ladle individual size batter scoops in the oil. Flatten the fritters and fry on each side for a few minutes till golden. Remove and drain on kitchen towel, serve immediately with the dip.
on www.leeksandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
Written and photographed by Sandra Slawinski without commercial deals. I used my plates from Hema, ZaraHome and bowl made by my mama.