Root vegetables are in season and carrots are big favourite. This heirloom bundle just brings soo much joy.
Carrots greens are totally edible, I think they taste a little grassy so I usually cut them up, store in freezer for soup or stock making. Here is used them in the pesto, totally delish.
I didn’t have any parmesan in the fridge so I made the carrot greens pesto with toasted pine nuts and olive oil and served it with feta.
This makes a great side dish or veggie main dish.
My roasted carrots, honey feta & carrot greens presto
Yield 4 portions
- 1 bundle of carrots, washed, brushed or peeled
- handful carrot green tops, washed and chopped
- 50 gr toasted pine nuts
- 200 gr feta
- a few sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 bae leaves
- 2 tablespoon honey
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Slices the thicker carrots length wise, place on baking tray. Splash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the bae leaves in amongst the carrots.
- Roast in pre heated oven at 180C for about 20 minutes. We are looking for a little crunch in the middle sill. Remove the bae leaves.
- In blender add the carrot greens, pine nuts and. splash of olive oil. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Plate the carrots on a large serving platter, crumble over the feta, add a few dollops of pesto and splash with the honey, sprinkle chopped carrot greens and fresh thyme leaves.
on www.leeksandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
TIPS & SWAPS:
- Make sure to rinse the carrot greens multiple times, lots of dirt in those greens.
- Chop the carrot greens and freeze until making soup or stock.
- Pine nuts are at its best toasted: add them to a hot non-stick pan, stay with them, toss regularly and remove when golden.
- Swap pine nuts for almonds, pistachios, cashews or sunflower seeds.
- Swap feta for fresh goat cheese, burrata or ricotta.
Written and photographed by Sandra Slawinski without commercial deals. I use my platter from ZaraHome, my little Le Creuset pan and my Magimix (its getting old). I used lovely olive oil from Crete, received from my fiend Nia.