Vegan is not something I aspire, and it’s been quite controversial these past few days (if you ve not heard a die-hard vegan caved which sparked a tsunami of reactions). I LOVE vegetables, I know I say that a lot, but equally adore meat and fish. Dairy I should limit more as I don’t digest it well ( 80% of the population has issues with milk) so I try to trick myself with yummy dishes. Like my VEGAN polenta with roasted seasonal red vegetables is just the trick ! Twice a week I only eat vegetables, pulses, grains and fruits ( basically no meat nor fish), I don’t really plan it, it just happens.
How about you, do you ve vegetarian days?
INGREDIENTS – Radicchio is on its last legs of the season, this will be my last taste till next winter. Check out my citrus salad with radicchio for more inspo before it’s gone, click HERE. Red onions are my favourite onion, sweet yet zesty. Radishes are about to come in season. Have you ever fried them in olive oil with the leaves on? Don’t throw away the leaves they are lovely in a vegetable soup.
STEP 1: Roast the onions in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 30 minutes.
STEP 2: Fry the radishes in some olive oil. Leave a leaf as they are totally edible.
STEP 3: Cut the radicchio.
STEP 4: Cook the polenta as per packet instructions. Don’t forget to season it with salt and pepper.
STEP 5 : Remove the roasted red onions from the oven.
STEP 6: Dress the polenta with the red veg and serve with a splash of extra virgin olive oil.
My vegan polenta with red vegetables
Yield 4 potions
- 1 pack of polenta
- 1 radicchio, shredded
- 1 bustle radishes
- 4 red onions
- 1 lemon, juiced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Peel the red onions, slice in half lengthwise, don't cut the bottom ( this will hold them together). Drizzle olive oil in baking dish, lay onions cut down, season with salt and paper, some more olive oil. Roast in pre heated oven at 180C for 30 minutes.
- Wash the radishes, cut in half lengthwise and leave 1 leaf per half. Heat olive oil in on stick pan, fry the radishes till coloured. Reserve.
- Toss the radicchio is some lemon juice and olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the polenta as per packet instructions. Season with salt and pepper. Add more water if the polenta is to dry.
- Dress the polenta with red onions, radishes and radicchio. Add splash of olive oil and serve.
on www.leeksandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
Written and photographed by Sandra Slawinski without commercials deals.