Filo pastry makes a great light tart shell perfect for all year round topped with seasonal vegetables.
In spring I served a filo tart with white asparagus and flowers, in Autumn I just can not resist making filo tart with Swiss chard and girolles mushrooms.
I kept it totally vegan and the depth of flavour comes from the tahini seasoning.
TIPS and SWAPS:
- Don’t like Swiss chard, you can use cabbage leaves or winter spinach.
- No girolles mushrooms at the market stand this week, you can use any mushroom in season.
- Not a fan of tahini, brush the filo layers with olive oil and add some ricotta to the top layer.
- You need more cheese, just add some shredded Comte or Guyere or some feta or mozzarella – all cheese go.
- Make individual size tarts for easy serving or taking to work or on a picnic
My ruby Swiss chard, girolles mushroom and tahini filo tart
Yield 4 portions
- 300 gr swiss chard, washed and chopped keeping stems separate from leaves
- 300 gr girolles mushrooms, brushed and rinsed
- 1 shallot, diced
- 5 sheets of filo pastry ( shop bought)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- gold and black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- In a sauté pan, add some olive oil and sweat the shallot, add the Swiss chard stems and stir while frying over medium heat.
- When soft add the mushrooms, cook for 10 minutes, add the Swiss chard cut leaves and stir while cooking through about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Taste and season the mixture. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Take a baking tray or pizza tray and layer the 1st sheet of filo, brush with tahini. Layer 4 filo sheets on top and brush again the last sheet with tahini. ( you can brush each sheet if you LOVE tahini, I did).
- Top the filo layers with the mushroom and Swiss chard mixture and bake in a prea heated oven at 180C for 10 to 15 minutes when the filo is crispy and baked.
- Sprinkle with some gold and back sesame seeds and serve immediately.
on www.leeksandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
Written and photographed by Sandra Slawinski without commercial deals. I used my plate from ZaraHome and brush from Dille en Kamille.