Always loved coq au vin, I savoured the richness every time it made an appearance on our dinner table when I as a kid. However in effort of wanting to shed a few kilos I am looking at my classics and giving them a little lightness. Also going lactose free for a while as I suspect I have build up an intolerance and want test the theory for a couple months.
The traditional coq au vin made with red wine, a bit of flour and lots of cream is of course totally delish. My coq au vin blanc, celebrates that gorgeous flavour but keeps it light on the digestion. I replaced the butter with low cholesterol vegetable oil based cooking margarine, heavy cream with 0% lactose and 15% less fat cream, did not use flour to thicken the sauce and used 30% less fat smoked lardons. I like using the chicken thighs as they give great flavour and fit just perfectly in my cassis Le Creuset braiser and yield scrumptious moist meat.
My coq au vin blanc
Yield 4 persons
- 8 chicken thighs
- 150 gr button mushrooms, cleaned
- 75 gr lardons, smoked, 30% less fat
- 25 cl cream, 0% lactose, 15% less fat
- 1 small onion, chopped in small dice
- 1 bottle white wine
- vegetable margarine
- 4 thyme sprigs
- chopped flat parsley
- salt and pepper
- Melt the margarine and add the onion, let them sweat. Add the lardons and fresh thyme and cook them for a few minutes. Remove the onion, lardons mixture and set aside.
- Skin side down, brown the chicken thighs for a few minutes and turn over and continue to brown for a few minutes. Add the onion, thyme and lardons.
- Pour in the white wine, bring to boil and reduce heat. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid, add the mushrooms and cook for another 10 minutes. Sieve the liquid and reserve the chicken, mushrooms, lardons and onions. Stir in the cream, taste and season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil and reduce heat immediately. Add the chicken, mushrooms, lardons and onions, sprinkle the parsley and serve.
on www.leeksandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
Written and photographed by Sandra Slawinski without commercial deals.