It is amazing when you ve time what you are able to do. I never made focaccia and well here it is.
FOCACCIA – is a flat oven baked Italian bread, served as a side or made in a sandwich. It only requires 5 ingredients: flour, water, yeast, olive oil and salt
- I used some of the kohlrabi leaves and flowers to decorate and add flavour to the focaccia bread as well as fresh rosemary from my garden.
- Serve with good quality olive oil for dipping
- I used fleur de sel salt with piment d’espelette which I brought back from Biarritz last summer cause I like the heath.
- When stale, use it as croutons in salades ( next week I share my Cesar salad
How gorgeous are these purple kohlrabi stems and yellow flowers.
My herb focaccia
- 300 gr strong flour ( '00')
- 2 table spoons olive oil
- 7 gr dry yeast
- a pinch for the dough and coarse salt for sprinkling
- 200 ml warm water (not boiling)
- rosemary and kohlrabi leaves and edible flowers
- Add the yeast to the warm water to start working.
- In a bowl add flour, pinch of salt, olive oil, add 100 ml of the water and mix with a dough hook. Add gradually the rest of the water mix and mix for a few minutes till well combined and the dough starts to stretch.
- In a well oiled bowl, add the dough ( this is a very wet dough), cover with a plastic or cloth bag. Place somewhere warm ( sunny window, heating, near a hot oven) for 1 hour.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper, brush some olive oil on the parchment paper. Tip the dough onto the tray and stretch it to shape. Cover with a plastic or cloth bag and leave to proof again for an hour.
- The dough should now be puffy. Punch small dents with your finger and add some rosemary leaves. Add the kohlrabi leaves and some flowers ( reserve some for later). Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake in pre heated oven at 180C for about 20 minutes, till golden and crisp. Serve warm with some extra fresh flowers for colour.
on www.leeksandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
Written and photographed by Sandra Slawinski without commercial deals. I used my baking tray and cooling rack from Dille& Kamille