As the weather cools I really feel like lingering in bed on the weekends. Nothing so fab as breakfast in bed, and French brioche toast is just perfect!
I used fresh brioche bread and as plums are bang in season it was a no brainer to stew them and add a spice kick with gorgeous cloves.
- If cloves are not your spice, switch it with cinnamon, cardamom or even zests of orange with give it some great flavour depth.
- Plums can be exchanged for figs, apples or pears all though the Autumn season and of course red berries in summer are just divine.
My French brioche toast with cloves and plum stew
Yield 2 portions
- 2 large eggs
- 400 ml milk
- sprinkle of caster sugar
- 20 gr butter
- pinch of salt
- 2 slices of brioche bread cut thick, about 2cm
- 6 cloves
- 6 plums
- splash of water
- Cut the plums in slices and add to a non stick pan and add splash of water, add cloves and let simmer till fruit is soft. Taste and add honey or sugar if plums are less sweet. Remove the cloves.
- Add the milk and eggs to a flat bowl or plate with a rim and mix to combine.
- Dip the brioche slices into the mixture on both side.
- Add butter to a non-stick pan, add the brioche slice soaked in the milk mixture and sprinkle some sugar on the slice. Cook each side for a few minutes till cooked through and a lovely caramelised outside is formed.
- Serve immediately with the plum stew.
on www.leeksandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
Written and photographed by Sandra Slawinski without commercial deals. I used my bowl from Dille & Kamille, plates from H&M home and cutlery from ZaraHome.