My pineapple and spices chutney
Yield 6 jars of 250 ml
- 2 ripe pineapples
- 3 red onions
- 1 table spoon ground turmeric
- 1 table spoon ground ginger or 3 cm fresh ginger grated
- a pinch of chili
- 4-5 cardamom pods crushed
- 4-5 gloves crushed
- 250 gr sugar
- 200 ml cider vinegar
- In a large pan sweet the onions in a little oil, add the turmeric, ginger and chili to allow the flavours be released.
- Add the diced fruit. Stir to combine with onions ans spices.
- Add the sugar, stir to combine. Add the vinegar and stir to combine.
- In a metal or muslin strainer add the crushed gloves and cardamom so you can easily remove them after infusion.
- Bring to a boil for a few minutes and than reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 2 hours.
- You are looking for a jam like consistency, rather more thick versus runny.
- Jar in sterilized jars, label and store up to 1 year in a cool, dark and dry place. Don't eat for at least 1 month after making to optimize the flavour.
on www.leeksandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
Recipe by Leeks and High Heels at https://leeksandhighheels.com/recipes/winter/my-spicy-pineapple-chutney/