My chestnut and mushroom cabbage rolls with smoked paprika tomato sauce
Yield 12 rolls
- 1 green cabbage to collect 12 leaves
- 1 large onion, diced
- 400 gr mushrooms, diced
- 200 gr chestnuts, cooked and diced
- 500 ml tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon ground smoked paprika
- bustle fresh thyme or 2 tablespoon dried
- olive oil or butter
- salt and pepper
- Cut 12 leaves from the cabbage and with scissors carefully cut the back ridge of the centre nerve in half meaning you will still retain a complete leaf you are not cutting the nerve out, you are slicing the back of it to reduce it in size and make it cook evenly.
- Add to a large cookpot water and plenty of salt, it should taste like the sea. bring to a. boil and dip one leave at the time in the boiling water, waiting when it comes back to boil, let it flop a round a few minutes and then remove. Place directly in ice water, pat dry and reserve.
- In a frying pan add the olive oil or butter, add the onion and let them sweat till they colour slightly. Add the mushrooms, close the lid and let steam till tender. Remove the lid and let the steam and liquid cook put and add the chestnuts. Add the thyme and season will with salt and pepper.
- Set up a little assembly line. Add about 2 tablespoons of filling to the centre bottom of the cabbage leaf and tuck the sides in and roll. Place in a square or rectangle oven dish with high rim. Repeat till all 12 cabbage leaves are rolled.
- In a sauce pan add the jar of tomato sauce, vinegar and paprika, check taste and adjust Eason with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls and bake in a pre heated oven at 180 C for 20 minutes. Serve straight from the oven. I topped them with some vinegar pickled red onion slices.
on www.leeskandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
Recipe by Leeks and High Heels at https://leeksandhighheels.com/recipes/winter/my-chestnut-and-mushroom-cabbage-rolls-with-smoked-paprika-tomato-sauce/