Squid with Rice, Spanish Style
Yield 4 portions
- 1 large squid (ask your fishmonger to clean it for you)
- 200 gr round rice ( used for risotto)
- splash olive oil
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 20 cl white wine or vermouth
- 400 ml vegetable or fish stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 lemon, cut in 4
- salt and pepper
- Slice the squid in 1 cm wide rings. Add olive oil to frying pan and flash fry the squid, season with salt and pepper. Do not cook the squid too long or it will become rubber and very unpleasant to eat. Remove immediately from heat when just about cooked through, the residual heat will cook it for a bit longer. Reserve.
- In olive oil sweat the diced shallot, add the rice, let it absorb the oil. Add the saffron and the white wine or vermouth. Let simmer till evaporated. Than add the stock ladle by ladle, making the risotto style rice. Each time the liquid is almost absorb, add another ladle. Continue until the rice is cooked thru but still has a bit of bite to it.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Serve with the squid and lemon.
Recipe by Leeks and High Heels at https://leeksandhighheels.com/recipes/summer/barcelona-city-gaudi-great-food/