My swirly chocolate babka
Yield 8 servings
For the babka:
- 375 gr strong bread flour
- 50 gr caster sugar
- 7 gr dried yeast
- 100 ml milk, lukewarm
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100 gr butter, cold diced
- pinch of salt
For the chocolate filling:
- 100 gr chocolate
- 40 gr butter
- 25 gr caster sugar
- To make the chocolate filling: melt in saucepan the butter, add the chocolate and sugar and let melt. Keep stirring as not to burn the chocolate. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In mixing bowl add the flour, salt and yeast. Mix to combine.
- Add the beaten egg to the milk, whisk with a fork to combine. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the milk mixture. Mix at slow speed for 2 - 3 minutes .
- Add the butter gradually to the mixture and increase to medium speed, mix for 6 minutes till combined in a ball.
- Remove the dough onto a flowered surface and roll into a ball. You can either place it in a bowl covered with a plastic bag and let proof for 2 hours now or you can do it later.
- If you have let it proof, first knock it back and then roll out the dough to a squarish form, about 1 cm thick. If you have not proofed it first, roll out the dough.
- Spread the cooled chocolate sauce over the rolled out dough, keeping 1-2 cm away from the edge. Roll from the longest edge up.
- Cut the dough roll lengthwise in half, leaving at the top 2 cm attached. Pull apart the strands and twist outward to reveal the inner layers. Carefully braid the 2 strands, connect the ends to make a wreath. (this is very messy).
- Place the wreath on a baking tray and if you ve not proofed it yet, let it rise for 2 hours and bake after. If you already ve, bake it in a pre-heated oven at 180 C for 40- 45 minutes.
- Let cool before brushing with some honey or sugar syrup and serve.
on www.leeksandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
Recipe by Leeks and High Heels at https://leeksandhighheels.com/recipes/spring/my-swirly-chocolate-babka/