Even if we can’t receive many people today yet in our homes, who says we can’t make an effort anyway. I love using fresh flowers, vegetables and fruits in table centrepieces but don’t want to break the bank. Confession time: I never spend more than €20 on my centrepiece and it always look stunning. How do I do it?
Here some tips for a stunning table centrepiece on a budget:
- Keep all emptied vegetable and fruit jars. Wash, remove labels and use as vases for the centrepiece, all mismatched and different sizes give it dimension. (it’s my favourite thing to do).
- Buy the flowers that are in season or on sale the morning of. If flowers need to open first like tulips and peonies, then buy them a few days before .
- Use foliage from the garden like ivy and ferns, this will fill up and let the flowers shine. In winter use pine branches and pinecones.
- Chose the colours of the season: use vegetables and fruit in season as centrepiece or as edible decoration on the plate like radishes in spring, tomatoes and herbs in summer, pumpkin, nuts, pinecones and oranges studded with cloves in autumn.
- Candlelight is a must. Use jars, bottles, votives, bowls and glasses as candle holders.
AUTUMN – stud your oranges with cloves, not only does it look great, its scent is subtle and sets the seasons mood.
SUMMER – use garden flowers in mismatched jars for a stunning effect.
Use vegetables and fruit in season like radishes, tomatoes, oranges, lemons, pumpkin, apples, pears, etc. Some vegetables and fruits can be part decoration, part of a dish. Some vegetables can be used later in soup or stock. Refrain from using strong scented vegetables like onions and leeks.
FESTIVE SEASON – use pine branches to set a festive winter mood. add a few baubles to make it sparkle.
There is no need to buy much to set a stunning centrepiece, have a good rummage around your cupboards and fridge and you will be amazed what you can make good use of.
written by Sandra Slawinski without commercial agreements. From the LHH collection: vintage plates, silver, stemware.