I love white asparagus and the season is at the beginning of its few weeks of blissful white gold.
I share with you 3 simple and tasty recipes:
white asparagus cappuccino:
Need for 2 cups:
500 ml of vegetable stock – 6 peeled white asparagus – 30ml of milk foamed – a bit of chopped parsley
1. Add to the boiling stock the asparagus and cook through for about 10 minutes.
2. Blitz the soup with electric hand blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Add the milk foam and chapped parsley.
tip: you can some mushrooms for extra taste or potatoes for more robust soup.
white asparagus a la Flamande
Need for 2 people:
10 to 14 white asparagus peeled – 2 soft boiled eggs – 50 gr of butter – chopped parsley
1. add the asparagus to boiled water will cooked through. Boil the eggs. Melt the butter.
2. chopped the boiled egg and add to the butter with some parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Layer the eggs mixture over the boiled asparagus.
Tip: i like the soft boiled eggs over hard boiled as i like the runny yolk but traditionally we use hard boiled eggs.
white asparagus risotto
need for 2:
1/3 cup of risotto rice per person – 50 gr of grated Parmesan cheese – 1 diced shallot – olive oil – 20 ml of white wine – 1l of vegetable stock – 8 to 10 white asparagus peeled and cooked
1. Heat a pan with some olive oil and sweat the shallot. Add the rice, stir until coated in oil and the white wine.
2. When the wine is almost evaporated, add a ladle of stock and gently stir, let simmer. each time the stock is almost gone, add an other ladle of stock, keep a close eye on it. taste to be sure the rice is cooked all the way.
3. remove from heat, add cheese and stir, adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper – add the cooked asparagus chunks and serve.
Tip: there are many ways to make risotto but this technique works best for me, ladle by ladle and keep tasting when the rice is cooked through.