Oostduinkerke, Belgium is a little dot on the North Sea Coast that has stolen my heart. Winter or Summer, I love spending time there: long walks on the beach and cooking some great fresh seafood. The fish mines in Nieuwpoort are just a little drive away or if like me, you prefer something closer, pop in Mare Nostrum fish shop at Sint-Idesbald: Fish for foodies! They have fresh seafood and homemade meals-to-go. I picked up some shrimp, razor clams, cod and langoustine. I cooked up a lovely seafood platter with langoustine, shrimp and razor clams. And some flavorful fishcakes, yummy!
The traditional way of shrimping with horses is still going strong, recognized as an UNESCO cultural heritage; you can check their shrimping schedule and pick up some fresh shrimp in Koksijde.
Need for 10 pieces:
500 gr potatoes, peeled and diced
300 gr fish – I used cod, but any flaky fish will work
chopped leaf parsley
lemon zest and juice
olive oil, salt and pepper
- Boil the potatoes, and steam the fish in the microwave.
- Mash them together; add the lemon zest and juice with some olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chopped parsley.
- Heat oil in a pan and make the paddies of the mixture, about 4cm wide and 2 cm thick. Fry them 2 minutes on each side, flip them carefully.
- Serve with lemon and mustard yogurt sauce or any dressing of your choice.
Tip: I prefer not to use flower nor breadcrumbs to keep them light and fresh, so make sure your potatoes are cooked well and make small paddies for easy frying. Works great with salmon too.
Need for 4:
200 gr shrimp (up to you if you shell them yourself)
200 gr cooked langoustine tales
8 razor clams
Handful raw spinach leaves
dressing of your choice
- Heat some oil in pan and throw in the razor clams, juice some lemon over them and add some parsley. Let simmer for a few minutes.
- Shell the langoustines and shrimp.
- Half the lemon and grill them on a hot grill pan to release the flavor.
- Serve with bread and a dressing of your choice.
There is my Seafood feast ! Enjoy the rest of summer my lovelies xoxo