Portuguese custard tarts - pasteis de nata
Yield 12 tartlets
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 115 gr golden caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 400 ml full fat milk
- 1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise and vanilla seeds scrapped out
- 1 sheet puff pastry ( shop bought)
- Put the egg, egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a pan and mix well, gradually add the milk until mixture is well mixed.
- Place the pan on medium heat and stir constantly until the mixture thickens and comes to the boil. Add the vanilla seeds and the bean. Remove the pan from the heat and pour in a glass or ceramic chilled bowl to cool. Cover with cling film to avoid skin forming, and refrigerate.
- Lightly grease a 12 hole muffin tin. Pre heat the oven to 180C degrees.
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut out disks of about 10 cm diameter and press them into the muffin tin.
- Spoon in the cold custard, bake for 20 - 25 minutes until golden. Serve when slightly cool with a dusting of cinnamon.
on www.leeksandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
Recipe by Leeks and High Heels at http://leeksandhighheels.com/my-foodie-guide-to-lisbon-and-pasteis-de-nata/