My beetroot-cured organic salmon
Yield 6 portions
- 400 to 450 gr organic salmon, skin removed and pin-boned
- 1 kg coarse salt
- 200 gr caster sugar
- 3 large beetroots, coarsely grated, no need to remove the skin
- 1 fennel with shoots or replace by dill
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons grated horseradish, from a jar
- 2 tablespoons fromage blanc or cream cheese
- slices of bread, optional
- salt and pepper
- Place the beetroot, fennel shoots or dill, salt and sugar in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Take a glass or ceramic baking dish slightly larger than your fish cut and layer 1/2 the mixture on the bottom. add the salmon, and cover with the rest of the mixture. As this will loose a lot of moisture make sure to keep space at the rim of the dish.
- Cover with cling film ( plastic wrap) and top with a baking tray or plate. Add some baking beans in a bag and top with cans or another pack of salt ( in my case). the baking beans will keep the cans in place. You need to get some weight onto it.
- Combine the horseradish and fromage blanc, season with salt and pepper, reserve. Add lemon juice to the sliced fennel, reserve.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours. Remove the plastic warp and the salt mixture. Thinly slice the salmon. Top bread with the spread salmon and fennel or serve like a salad.
on www.leeksandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
Recipe by Leeks and High Heels at http://leeksandhighheels.com/my-beetroot-cured-organic-salmon/