Say what now?
Yep, I am going classic flan, a dessert from my region in Flanders, in memory of my dad who passed away this week 25 years ago. So I hope you don’t mind a moment of nostalgia.
He loved sweets, biscuits and desserts, and this was one of his favourites, I never seen him make it but he for sure ate plenty and I love it too.
I mean what’s not to love: it’s basically gingerbread, speculoos and milk with sugar.
Gentse Vlaai or Flan
Yield 4 pieces
- 1 liter whole milk
- 150gr brown sugar
- 150gr gingerbread (peperkoek), cut in small pieces
- 150gr speculoos, broken in small pieces
- 20 ml milk with vanilla powder
- 3 table spoons syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon butter
- In a large pot add milk and sugar, heat till lukewarm and add the gingerbread and speculoos. add syrup and cinnamon.
- Increase heat and while stirring let the mixture become more consistent.
- Add the mixture of milk and vanilla powder to assure the binding of the mixture. constant stirring is needed to avoid burning.
- Transfer mixture to an oven dish either lined with parchment paper or greased with butter.
- Bake for 50 minutes in preheated oven at 180C degrees. Let cool in the fridge and serve with whip cream.
on www.leeksandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
written and photos by Sandra Slawinski – plate Villory Boch – fork Flamant