Yield 4 portions
- 1 organic chicken
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 250 gr small white Parisian mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter + extra
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 dl cream
- 300 gr minced pork meat rolled in small coin sizer meatballs
- 4 puff pastry hollow round cases ( shop bought or home made)
- flat parsley or watercress, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Melt some butter in a large stock pot or dutch oven that will allow the entire chicken to be submerged. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken on high heat on each side for a for minutes. Drain the butter and add the chicken stock. Fill up the pot with water till the chicken is (nearly) submerged. Bring to boil and place in pre-heated oven at 180 C for about 40 -50 minutes till cooked. If not fully submerged turn the chicken around after 20 minutes. Remove from oven, sieve and reserve the stock. Remove the skin and cut or pull the chicken meat from the bones and reserve.
- In a frying pan add some butter and cook the meatballs, reserve when cooked through. In the same pan seasoned with salt and pepper, cook the mushrooms and reserve.
- Make a roux: add the 2 table spoons of butter and on high heat let melt. Add the flour and cook out the flour by stirring continuously. Add a ladle of stock and stir well till it thickens. Add about 500 ml of stock ( the rest you can freeze to use in soups), keep stirring till the sauce thickens.
- Add the cream and bring to a boil and remove from heat. Add the chicken, meatballs and mushrooms. Ladle the vol-au-vent into the puff pastry cases and sprinkle with some chopped flat parsley or watercress. Serve with fries, rice or mash potatoes.
on www.leeksandhighheels.com by Sandra Slawinski
Recipe by Leeks and High Heels at http://leeksandhighheels.com/belgian-classics-my-vol-au-vent-the-best-chicken-stew-6/